Terms for the Service
- By using the CogniTensor.io web site (“Service“), or any software products or services of CogniTensor, Inc (“CogniTensor“), you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions (“Terms of Service“). IF YOU ARE ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF A COMPANY OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY, YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO BIND SUCH ENTITY, ITS AFFILIATES AND ALL USERS WHO ACCESS OUR SERVICES THROUGH YOUR ACCOUNT TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, IN WHICH CASE THE TERMS “YOU“ OR “YOUR“ SHALL REFER TO SUCH ENTITY, ITS AFFILIATES AND USERS ASSOCIATED WITH IT. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SUCH AUTHORITY, OR IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YOU MUST NOT ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY NOT USE THE PRODUCTS and SERVICES.
- If CogniTensor makes material changes to these Terms, we will notify you by email or by posting a notice on our site before the changes are effective. Any new features that augment or enhance the current Service, including the release of new tools and resources, shall be subject to the Terms of Service. Continued use of the Service after any such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes. You can review the most current version of the Terms of Service at any time at: (give link here)
- Violation of any of the terms below will result in the termination of your Account. While CogniTensor prohibits such conduct and Content on the Product and Service, you understand and agree that CogniTensor cannot be responsible for the Content posted on the Product and Service and you nonetheless may be exposed to such materials. You agree to use the Service at your own risk.
A. Account Terms
- You must be a human. Accounts registered by “bots“ or other automated methods are not permitted.
- You must provide your name, a valid email address, and any other information requested in order to complete the signup process. Any registration information that you provide to us via your CogniTensor account must be accurate, current and complete. You are responsible for maintaining your information always current so that we may send notices, statements and other information to you by email or through your CogniTensor Account. You are responsible for all actions taken through your accounts.
- Your login may only be used by one person - i.e., a single login may not be shared by multiple people.
- You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and password. CogniTensor cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation.
- You are responsible for all Content posted and activity that occurs under your account (even when Content is posted by others who have accounts under your account).
- One person or legal entity may not maintain more than one free account.
- You may not use the Service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose. You must not, in the use of the Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright or trademark laws).
Community Edition for Teacher and Student
- For the purpose of this Agreement, a student is an individual who is enrolled at a recognized tertiary educational institution (university or college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study, and upon request by CogniTensor, Inc. is able to provide proof of such enrollment. For the purpose of this Agreement, a teacher is an individual who conducts lectures and/or seminars at a recognized tertiary educational institution (university or college), and upon request by CogniTensor, Inc. is able to provide proof of such involvement.
Community Edition for Open Data Projects
- You have to be a project lead or a core member of the project. Your Open Data project is in active development for a minimum of 3 months.
- You are committed to publish high quality data analysis contents in a form of either Data, Chart, or Note, publicly at CogniTensor on a regular basis at least once in a month.
- You have a blog or website for your project updates including your shared contents at CogniTensor.
- CogniTensor reserves the right to decline your qualification for Community edition any time if you are not satisfying the above criteria.
Community Edition for Journalists
- You have to be a journalist or working for journalists, and you are currently being employed by media organizations. You are actively publishing your works on their media outlets such as web sites. CogniTensor reserves the right to decline your qualification for Community edition any time if you are not satisfying the above criteria.
B. Payment, Refunds, Upgrading and Downgrading Terms
- All paid plans must enter a valid payment account. Free accounts are not required to provide payment account information.
- An upgrade from the free plan to any paying plan will immediately bill you.
- For monthly payment plans, the Service is billed in advance on a monthly basis and is non-refundable. There will be no refunds or credits for partial months of service, upgrade/downgrade refunds, or refunds for months unused with an open account. In order to treat everyone equally, no exceptions will be made.
- When changing from a monthly billing cycle to a yearly billing cycle, CogniTensor will bill for a full year at the next monthly billing date.
- All fees are exclusive of all taxes, levies, or duties imposed by taxing authorities, and you shall be responsible for payment of all such taxes, levies, or duties, excluding only United States (federal or state) taxes.
- For any upgrade or downgrade in plan level while on a monthly billing cycle, the credit card that you provided will automatically be charged the new rate on your next billing cycle. For upgrades or downgrades while on a yearly plan, CogniTensor will immediately charge or refund the difference in plan cost, prorated for the remaining time in your yearly billing cycle.
- Downgrading your Service may cause the loss of Content, features, or capacity of your Account. CogniTensor does not accept any liability for such loss.
C. Cancellation and Termination
- You are solely responsible for properly canceling your account. An email or phone request to cancel your account is not considered cancellation. You can cancel your account at any time by clicking on Settings link in the account menu at the right hand side top of the screen. The Account screen provides a simple no questions asked cancellation link.
- All of your Content will be immediately deleted from the Service upon cancellation. This information can not be recovered once your account is cancelled.
- If you cancel the Service before the end of your current paid up month, your cancellation will take effect immediately and you will not be charged again.
- CogniTensor, in its sole discretion, has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Product and Service, or any other CogniTensor service, for any reason at any time. Such termination of the Service will result in the deactivation or deletion of your Account or your access to your Account, and the forfeiture and relinquishment of all Content in your Account. CogniTensor reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.
- In the event that CogniTensor takes action to suspend or terminate an account, we will make a reasonable effort to provide the affected account owner with a copy of their account contents upon request, unless the account was suspended or terminated due to unlawful conduct.
D. Temporary Suspension for non-payment
- CogniTensor reserves the right to suspend your access to CogniTensor' Products in the event that you fail to make payment for its subscription.
- If CogniTensor suspends your access to CogniTensor' Products for non-payment, you must pay all past due amounts in order to restore its access to CogniTensor' Products.
- You hereby agree that CogniTensor is entitled to charge you for the time period during which you have access to CogniTensor Products until you or CogniTensor terminates or suspends your subscription in accordance with this agreement.
E. Modifications to the Service and Prices
- CogniTensor reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Product and Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice.
- Prices of all Services, including but not limited to monthly subscription plan fees to the Service, are subject to change upon 30 days notice from us. Such notice may be provided at any time by posting the changes to the CogniTensor Site (CogniTensor.io) or the Service itself.
- CogniTensor shall not be liable to you or to any third-party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
F. Copyright and Content Ownership
- We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you provide to the Service. Your profile and materials uploaded remain yours. However, by setting your Charts, Data, and Notes to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view your Content. By setting your projects to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and fork your projects.
- CogniTensor does not pre-screen Content, but CogniTensor and its designee have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or remove any Content that is available via the Service.
- You shall defend CogniTensor against any claim, demand, suit or proceeding made or brought against CogniTensor by a third-party alleging that Your Content, or Your use of the Service in violation of this Agreement, infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of a third-party or violates applicable law, and shall indemnify CogniTensor for any damages finally awarded against, and for reasonable attorney’s fees incurred by, CogniTensor in connection with any such claim, demand, suit or proceeding; provided, that CogniTensor (a) promptly gives You written notice of the claim, demand, suit or proceeding; (b) gives You sole control of the defense and settlement of the claim, demand, suit or proceeding (provided that You may not settle any claim, demand, suit or proceeding unless the settlement unconditionally releases CogniTensor of all liability); and (c) provides to You all reasonable assistance, at Your expense.
G. General Conditions
- Your use of the Service is at your sole risk. The service is provided on an “as is“ and “as available“ basis.
- Support for CogniTensor services is only available in English and Japanese, via community, email or phone depending on the your subscribed plan.
- You understand that CogniTensor uses third-party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to run the Service.
- You must not modify, adapt or hack the Service or modify another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with the Service, CogniTensor, or any other CogniTensor service.
- You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the Product and Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service without the express written permission by CogniTensor.
- We may, but have no obligation to, remove Content and Accounts containing Content that we determine in our sole discretion are unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, pornographic, obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party's intellectual property or these Terms of Service.
- Verbal, physical, written or other abuse (including threats of abuse or retribution) of any CogniTensor customer, employee, member, or officer will result in immediate account termination.
- You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service, including your Content, may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
- You must not upload, post, host, or transmit unsolicited email, SMSs, or “spam“ messages.
- You must not transmit any worms or viruses or any code of a destructive nature.
- If your bandwidth usage significantly exceeds the average bandwidth usage (as determined solely by CogniTensor) of other CogniTensor customers, we reserve the right to immediately disable your account or throttle your file hosting until you can reduce your bandwidth consumption.
- CogniTensor does not warrant that (i) the service will meet your specific requirements, (ii) the service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of the service will be accurate or reliable, (iv) the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the service will meet your expectations, and (v) any errors in the Service will be corrected.
- You expressly understand and agree that CogniTensor shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if CogniTensor has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from: (i) the use or the inability to use the service; (ii) the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through or from the service; (iii) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (iv) statements or conduct of any third-party on the service; (v) or any other matter relating to the service.
- The failure of CogniTensor to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. The Terms of Service constitute the entire agreement between you and CogniTensor and govern your use of the Service, superseding any prior agreements between you and CogniTensor (including, but not limited to, any prior versions of the Terms of Service). You agree that these Terms of Service and Your use of the Service are governed under California law.
- Questions about the Terms of Service should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org